We’ve partnered with America250PA as they make their way through all of Pennsylvania’s 67 counties. They’re spreading the word about the upcoming 250th anniversary of the United States and Pennsylvania’s unique role as the birthplace of democracy in America. Stay tuned right here for news and updates from the America250PA team.
America250PA Reflects on Progress Thus Far as They Prepare for 2024 Activities
Since September 17, 2019, America250PA has been growing awareness for the Nation’s 250th anniversary in 2026 and Pennsylvania’s role in the event. As the Commission’s staff continues traveling across the Commonwealth—implementing more programs, projects, and events ahead of the Semiquincentennial—let’s see how their efforts have grown:
- The America250PA staff has traveled over 60,000 miles so far!
- America250PA has engaged all 67 Pennsylvania Counties as official partners, making it the first U.S. Semiquincentennial State Commission to receive statewide support. The Commission has also engaged over 280 Pennsylvania Municipalities, and the list continues to grow!
“Since America250PA was first launched, we’ve been driven by the mission of engaging #EveryPennsylvanian in #EveryCounty,” said Cassandra Coleman, Executive Director of America250PA. “With their support and additional county-wide efforts, we can truly ensure this is a statewide commemoration of Pennsylvania’s past, present, and future.”
- America250PA has partnered with 140 Nonprofit Affiliates across the Commonwealth.
- America250PA continues to grow its social media presence, with 1,400+ Instagram Followers, 3,700+ Facebook Followers, 880+ Twitter/X Followers, and 2,700+ LinkedIn Followers.
- America250PA’s Infrastructure Improvements and Projects Committee (IIPC), the result of bipartisan legislation that Pennsylvania State Representative Jared Solomon and former State Representative Wendi Thomas passed to implement legacy infrastructure projects across the Commonwealth in preparation for the nation’s Semiquincentennial in 2026, received 168 submissions for legacy projects!
- Since America250PA’s Annual Pennsylvania Day effort—in partnership with Feeding Pennsylvania and Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful—has first launched, they have recruited over 800 volunteers, prepared 1,013 meals, packed 21,595 boxes, and packed 31,819 pounds of goods. In 2023, they also recycled over 20,000 K-Cups, built 45 flower boxes, refurbished park benches and picnic tables, cleaned up trash, and much more!
- America250PA’s Direct Effect™ Innovation Challenge (DEIC)—a three-round statewide competition that challenges postsecondary students to design integrated marketing campaigns—has engaged 350 students from over 40 Pennsylvania Postsecondary Institutions.Check out the 2023 DEIC highlight video produced by DiscoverNEPA! The 2023 DEIC was presented in partnership with the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, and supported by UGI Utilities, Inc.
- As of December 18th, 2023, America250PA’s Keystone Classroom Initiative has reached 8,341 students across 19 Counties! Along with age-appropriate historical reenactors, storytellers, local celebrities, and/or mascots, America250PA will continue visiting children across Pennsylvania to educate them about their shared Pennsylvania story, as well as distribute an originally-designed America250PA Coloring Book and other Pennsylvania treats in anticipation of the 250th anniversary of the United States in 2026. They’re aiming to reach 50,000 Pre-K–4th Grade students by 2026!The Keystone Classroom Initiative is generously sponsored by presenting sponsors, The Hershey Company, Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, The Hawk Family Foundation, UPMC & UPMC Health Plan, The Pennsylvania School Boards Association, the University of Pittsburgh, Access, and Allied Services.
America250PA Executive Director, Cassandra Coleman, shares some final thoughts:
“I truly cannot believe that it will be five years since this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity presented itself to me. I am SO proud of all of the progress we have made at America250PA. My team works day in and day out to ensure that Pennsylvania continues to lead the Nation, and I am extremely lucky to work with such a talented team every day.
But, I would be remiss if I didn’t recognize Northeastern Pennsylvania. This is home. This is where I can always come back to and have folks there to support and cheer me on and I would not be—America250PA, would not be—where we are today without the early support of SO many friends in NEPA. This community is truly one of a kind and I will always be forever grateful for the unwavering encouragement and support.”