To put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
The Wilkes-Barre Family YMCA is a cause-driven, nonprofit organization that builds a strong community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
For more than 150 years, it has remained relevant to individuals and communities as they change and evolve, while maintaining its core mission to put Christian principles into practice.
Through programs that build a healthy spirit, mind, and body for all, its impact is felt when an individual makes a healthy choice, when a mentor inspires a child, and when a community comes together for the common good.
To the Wilkes-Barre YMCA, strengthening people ultimately leads to a stronger, more caring community. Thanks to the generosity of local business and individual donors, no one is turned away for an inability to pay. The Wilkes-Barre YMCA is proud to provide financial assistance to members of our community who cannot afford membership or program fees.
- Day care is available for children ages 6 weeks through 5 years old.
- The Live “Y”ers curriculum-based bridging program is designed to prepare 2 and 3 year olds for preschool with emphasis on socialization, listening skills, and sharing.
- Full and part day preschool and pre-kindergarten classes are available, with before- and after-care for those needing an extended day program.
Children are served breakfast, lunch and an afternoon snack every day. All meals meet the CACFP (Child and Adult Care Food Program) guidelines for portion and serving size, and meal time is used as a learning experience to try new food and talk about nutrition.
- Children take swimming lessons twice per week, and follow the YMCA swim program.
Out of School Time
- The Wilkes-Barre YMCA and the Wyoming Valley CYC have partnered on a transportation contact to transport children from school for the A.F.T.E.R. (Active.Friends.Tutoring.Educational.Recreational) school program.
- This service is provided to students enrolled at Daniel J. Flood Elementary, Leo E. Solomon-Plains Junior High, Dr. David W. Kistler Elementary, Heights M.L. Murray Elementary, Boyd Dodson Elementary schools in the Wilkes-Barre Area School District, Bear Creek Community Charter School, as well as Dana Street Elementary Center in the Wyoming Valley West School District.
- The A.F.T.E.R. school program and the O.F.F. (Out of school Friends and Fun) summer program serve children ages 5-12 in grades K-5th.
- Children are served afternoon snack and supper each day. During school holidays, snow days and the summer, breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack are served.
- Children participate in a combination of swimming lessons and recreational swim at least twice per week.
- The A.F.T.E.R. school program provides time for homework help and tutoring on a daily basis. Homework is done in small, grade leveled groups.
- The program is currently open to 72 children.
- Power Scholars is a summer learning loss prevention program offered in partnership with the Wilkes-Barre YMCA, BELL (Building Educated Leaders for Life), Wilkes-Barre Area and Hanover Area School Districts.
- In 2017, the program served 120 children from the Wilkes-Barre Area School District, grades K-4th, and 52 children from the Hanover Area School District, grades 4, 5 and 6.
- The Power Scholars program combines academics in Literacy and Math with enrichment activities including yoga, soccer, computers, art, and dance.
- Power Scholars Academy is offered FREE to the student in those two school districts, through support of funding through organizations like the United Way and the YMCA of the USA.
YMCA Camp Kresge
The Wilkes-Barre Family YMCA owns and operates YMCA Camp Kresge, a beautiful 1,100 acre facility located in White Haven, Luzerne County. Situated on the banks of beautiful Beaver Lake, YMCA Camp Kresge offers a wide variety of programs for families, children, adults, school groups, and corporate retreats. Team building programs and facility rentals are also available.
Featured Community Projects
Wilkes-Barre Family YMCA - Gallery
For more information about the Wilkes-Barre Family YMCA call (570) 208-9622, or visit www.wbymca.org.