Jane Henry, the owner of Jane’s Sugar Magnolia in Dallas, is taking us behind the scenes of her bakery and sharing how-to videos, recipes and decorating tips. From cookies to cupcakes, this series will show you how to make stunning sweets with a little help from a pro.
Valentine’s Day Just Got a Little Sweeter
You might associate Linzer cookies with Christmastime, but they’ve always been a Valentine’s Day treat to me. These buttery, rich cookies are sandwiched together with a sweet raspberry jam and dusted in powdered sugar. The cute little peek-a-boo window to the filling gives these treats a festive flair.
Can’t find almond flour or have an allergy? Don’t worry! Simply replace it with all-purpose flour. Feel free to use different fillings as well, and have fun with it!
We can’t wait to see what you create! Post a photo of your cookies with the hashtag #DiscoverJSM to show off your baking skills.
And if you want to enjoy these sweeties without all the fuss, stop by Jane’s Sugar Magnolia in Dallas now through Valentine’s Day to pick some up.
Linzer Cookie Recipe
1 ½ C almond flour
1 ½ C all-purpose flour
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp cloves
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ C (1 stick) butter, unsalted at room temperature
½ C sugar
½ C raspberry jam
2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- In a stand mixer, cream together your butter and sugar until it’s light and fluffy. It’s important that your butter is at room temperature for this step.
- Whisk together your egg and vanilla extract. Add your egg mixture to the mixer and beat until combined. Scrape down the sides of your bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine your flours, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until incorporated, scraping the bowl halfway through to ensure there are no ingredients stuck at the bottom.
- Divide your dough in half and form into two mounds. This will make it easier to roll out.
- Roll your dough to a thickness of about 1/8” and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Preheat your oven to 375° and line your baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut out your cookies, making sure that each bottom has its top match. For example, a full heart will be paired with a heart that has a window cut out.
- Give cookies a 1” space apart and bake for 7 to 9 minutes until they are a light golden color.
- Once cooled, spread your jam in the center of each cookie. Top with the second cookie and dust with powdered sugar.
- Take photos (phone always eats first)! Make sure to share your pictures with us using #DiscoverJSM.
Find More Valentine's Treats
Jane’s Sugar Magnolia has tons of Valentine’s specials available for preorder and in the case. Stop by the bakery at 66 Main Street in Dallas to get yours.