Jane Henry, the owner of Jane’s Sugar Magnolia in Dallas, is taking us behind the scenes of her bakery and sharing how-to videos, recipes and decorating tips. From cookies to cupcakes, this series will show you how to make stunning sweets with a little help from a pro.
Celebrate Fall with These Festive Treats
Whoopie pies are a fun cross between cookies and cake, and they make for the perfect handheld snack. The pumpkin flavor and cream cheese filling make this recipe a great option for fall gatherings, especially Thanksgiving!
Have some fun with these and maybe try different fillings. We opted for a classic cream cheese center, but we think that maple, chocolate, cinnamon or brown butter filling would be delicious too!
Want to try something even more festive? Rather than scooping your cookies and baking them into a round shape, fill a piping bag and create a pumpkin-shaped cookie to give these whoopie pies another fall twist. Tag us in your creations and share your ideas using #DiscoverJSM.
Pumpkin Cake Cookies
3 cups AP flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 ½ Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1 cup sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup vegetable oil
3 cups pumpkin puree
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Line baking sheets with parchment and preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and spices. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar and oil. Add pumpkin puree and mix to combine.
- Add eggs and vanilla to the pumpkin mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix until there are no streaks of dry ingredients and everything is well incorporated.
- Use a cookie scoop or spoon and portion your cookie batter into balls that are about 2 Tbsp and space them one inch apart on baking trays.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- As your cookies are cooling, prepare your cream cheese filling.
Cream Cheese Filling
1 stick (½ cup) salted butter at room temperature
8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar
- Combine butter and cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer until creamy, well combined and lump-free.
- Add vanilla extract and mix.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add the powdered sugar until completely combined.
- Pair your pumpkin cookies with a partner that is of similar size and shape
- With the flat side of your cookie facing up, add your cream cheese buttercream. This can be as simple or intricate as you’d like. You can use a butter knife to spread the icing on or use a piping bag with whatever tip you love to fill your cookie with more of a decorative flare.
- Top the cookie with its pair and enjoy!